Wednesday, June 3, 2009

one day before flying

Hi everyone!

I've decided to keep a blog to ramble while I'm gone, give updates on my latest disasters in the classroom, interesting findings in Chiang Rai, books I've read, and hopefully to hear from some of you.

I fly tomorrow from San Francisco to Bangkok, by way of Japan, where I'll have a 24 hour layover (it saved 200 dollars) before flying to Chiang Rai (in the very northern tip of Thailand). If you haven't caught on, I'll be teaching English for a year in Thailand at Mae Fah Luang University (http://www.mfu.ac.th/2009mfu_eng/) through Princeton in Asia (http://piaweb.princeton.edu/).

I really have no idea what to expect -- I just received the syllabus that I'm supposed to teach by email today, my passport is still in New York trying to get a Thai visa, and I've received 2 of the 3 shots for the one vaccination I tried to get. I know how to say hello and thank you in Thai (I'll study on the airplane, and if all goes as planned I'll be fluent by Bangkok).

somehow I liked the idea of connecting the end of Brown to leaving for Thailand, but that's as far as the idea got.



so here's a picture from graduation.
with Martin Obeng, no less.


Among my belongings:

laptop, 6 tubes of insect repellent, an English grammar book, ping pong paddle (just in case), 30 malaria pills, 10 books, all the formal clothes I own, dress shoes, running shoes, a US map, an ipod with Thai language tracks and music stolen last minute from 181ers (couldn't find the owl song), 10 socks, half a year of contact lenses.


hopefully this will be good. I can't promise much.

check back, subscribe, send me an email, skype me (brianlchang), unsubscribe -- whatever you feel like.

BUT I would also like to know that you are up to, too -- so if you don't plan to read this at least send me an email sometime letting me know what you are up to.

sa wat dee!
-Brian

7 comments:

  1. im so jealous of your picture with martin...good luck brian! - rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. take care Brian! I'll for sure be looking forward to stories on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't where I parked my car...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the recent 7% increase in food prices in Thailand because of the anticipation of increased demand upon your arrival?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proud, proud, proud of your.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, brian

    i really enjoyed your blog. the campus is clean & pleasant. order beer w/o ice. beware of pretty girls that could be boys. lots of luck of finding a clean apartment with tight screens & w/o bugs. don't bring cockroaches home. enjoy.

    wilson

    ReplyDelete