Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"Ladyboys"

Ladyboys are a part of modern Thai culture. 

At first, I tried to figure out why there was this phenomenon in Thailand -- why Thailand has such a large number of transgenders (both with and without operation). It may be because Thai society is relatively open and accepting (influence from Buddhism as a nat'l religion) -- I say relatively because in other ways it can be very conservative. Also, the culture in general isn't very masculine. 

Ladyboys can be hard to spot. In class, it's easier to tell because attendance sheets list "Mr" and "Miss" in front of student names. Also, I believe ladyboys aren't allowed to wear skirts (unless you have an operation), which also gives it away. Of course, a deep voice can be an indication, too.

I'm an accepting person. But when the transgender culture became so close to me, it seemed strange and I wasn't able to understand it. Ladyboys can be very attractive as women, and then when you realize they're male, you can become confused. It makes you wonder, why would someone do that? Why would you try to become another gender?

Foreigners also make a lot of jokes about transgenders in Thailand. Before I came here, I heard a few stories (no joke -- these were first or second hand accounts) that ended with "... and it turns out she was a man."

but here's what I think:

I think it's great that there is this culture here. It wasn't until I met and got to know one student that I was thought, hey, this is kind of cool.

During the interactions I had with him, he was dressed as a man. Then I ran into him at an event, and he was wearing a dress, long hair, makeup. I didn't even know it was him until I asked someone who he was, an hour later. He was really popular with all of the students and teachers, and everyone was completely supportive of him both as a man and a woman. What made this more impressive to me though, is at this event, he was the only transgender there. He wasn't even performing. He was just there to cheer people on. 

Still, I know that this is a college campus and there are many places in Thailand that wouldn't be as accepting, but I just couldn't see this situation taking place somewhere else.

There was a show on campus called "Paradise You Can Touch", which is basically a transgender show. It was the hugest production I've seen at any college and attended by half the school (not sure; I made that number up).




Then, they talk.


-Mo

2 comments:

  1. did you ever ask your student why how or why he decided to be transgender. i guess i wonder if some people do it because it's part of popular culture, and they do it cuz it's cool or that's how they actually identify.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do some research. my guess is it's some of both. maybe because it's widely accepted and kind of an "in" thing, some men try it with the support of friends, and it goes from there..

    ReplyDelete