Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cambodia -- Angkor Wat

Over a long weekend, Linan and I cancelled 2 days of class (oops) and booked it to Cambodia. I've always really wanted to go to Cambodia -- it was actually my top choice of places -- and it was great. 

It's a place of huge contrasts. 

There's beautiful Angkor ruins that show the Khmer peoples' greatness hundreds of years ago, and remains of genocide from 40 years ago. A trip to Cambodia will undoubtedly make you feel a lot of things. There are still lots of not-so-good things going on there, but the country has lots of good (and some not as good) foreign aid, one of the fastest growing economies in SE Asia, and strong people.

So here's from Angkor Wat (and surrounding areas):



Angkor Wat on the approach. It's really a place that the first time it's somewhat underwhelming, then it gets better when you go back and sit down. There are a bunch of Cambodian kids that tell you some things about the place then beg for money. I paid a dollar to find out that elephants carried the blocks, that's why the blocks have holes in them for sticks.




There was this place where foreigners could get massages from fish that ate the skin off your feet. I didn't try it b/c I had a cut but Linan loved it. 

I think there must be Old Navy factories in Cambodia, ALL of the stands that sold souvenirs had Old Navy hangers.



This temple, Ta Phrom, is the 2nd coolest temple. It was where Tomb Raider was shot (not the inside scene) but Lara Croft running around outside one. It had trees everywhere.

Love the trees on the temple. It's even cooler when it rains and you take shelter inside.



Another visit to Angkor Wat.



Bullet holes from the Khmer Rouge in 1975 to 1979. The bullet's still there.
 




The main form of transportation for tourists. This guy, who I called Saloon because  that's what his name sounds like, drove us around for 2 days. 


On the way to one of the temples, we went to a landmine museum. Cambodia, and quite a few other countries, is plagued with landmines. The founder of the museum had set landmines during his time in the army, and had spent his middle age demining fields in Cambodia. He thinks he's done about 40,000 of them, but there are still millions left. You see landmine victims in a lot of places here.

That's another thing. It's really hard not to give money when you're here. But you can't give to everyone, or you'd go broke. And apparently lots of children are exploited for their begging and are given drugs to make sure they don't run away, Slumdog Millionaire style. It's a tough thing.  
 

Landmines in a Coi fish pond. Symbolic?

I'll finish up the trip (Phnom Penh -- a fascinating city) when I get a chance.

In other news,

  • Serena/sister/Mo is coming to visit in two days for a week. Cool! Too bad it's been raining for like 10 hours a day..
  • I moved into my new house. It's literally a cabin in the hills. No A/C, but it's gorgeous. The unpaved driveway kills me sometimes on my bike. 
  • I paid off my motorcycle. 700 dollars, hopefully I can sell it back at the end of the year for like 500. 
  • I've gotten used to wearing shirt and tie everyday. It's really not that bad.
  • The Cambodia trip screwed up our visas. Now we have to go to Bangkok (10 hour bus ride) and reapply for visas. Visas are such a pain. 

Mo

2 comments:

  1. sucks about the visa but it looks like you're having a great time. i'm super jealous of your travels. i also love that you canceled class for 2days so you could take a mini vacation. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog! I learned a lot. Keep it up.

    -wtc-

    ReplyDelete